TikTok Slang 2022: A Complete Guide for Brands
How well do you know TikTok slang? Abbreviations, colloquialisms, and emojis are have a different meaning when it comes to this platform. It has a huge influence from Gen Z speak.
Let’s start with some stats:
- 63% of Gen Z use TikTok on a daily basis
- TikTok has 1 billion users and counting
- 50% of Americans admit to using slang without knowing what it means…we don’t want to be part of this statistic
- ASL – If you were around in the wild West of Myspace and messengers, ASL meant Age Sex Location. On TikTok, it’s a shortened TikTok phrase for “as hell”.
IB – Don’t forget to give credit where it’s due (or the comments will come after you. IB means “inspired by.” You will usually see a user tagged next to this abbreviation.
- TfW – This means “That Feeling When.” It is often referring to a particular emotion that people find relatable.
- #xyzbca – No one fully knows what this abbreviation or set of letters is for. It is used in a similar way to #fyp and #foryou.
- CEO – On TikTok, CEO still means chief executive officer, but it’s said as a way to say someone is the absolute best at something.
- Cheugy – It’s a word that refers to people or objects that are out of touch, not trendy, or trying too hard.
- Mid – Basically it means something is mediocre.
- Cap / No Cap – “Cap” means “lie”. So “no cap” means “no lie.”
- Slay – To “slay” means you’re killing it. It’s used as a term of encouragement and is particularly prevalent among the Drag community.
- Yeet – This was originally meant throwing something at high speed. On TikTok, it’s become a new word for “Yay!”
- ✨ _ ✨ – Used to emphasise a word or phrase. It’s often done in a slight tongue in cheek humorous way.
- 💀/⚰️ – Gen Z now communicates that they are “dying/dead/deceased” from laughter if they found something funny.
- 🤡 – The clown emoji is used to signify foolishness or feeling dumb.
- 👁👄👁 – This emoji combo is meant to express shock or surprise.
- 👉 👈️ – This shows hesitation or shyness.
We could only a couple of each phrase in here, so check out the full slang guide from FanBytes for dozens MORE TikTok terms (plus a WHOLE bunch of challenge types).
Gain more flexibility in your analytics and reporting. DashThis is a marketing reporting software that allows you to create custom dashboards for SEO, SEM, social media, analytics, and display advertising reports. DashThis offers a variety of pre-built templates and widgets, displaying a whole bunch of commonly used KPIs with the option to track niche ones as well. On top of customizing dashboard components, you can also brand it, add notes, and share in multiple ways. Check it out for your next round of reporting.
Vibe Check Your Audience
Are we using TikTok terms right?
Don’t you wanna know more about your readers? Well go on, ask them what’s up! Scalemail Polls is your ticket to getting it done. This system integrates seamlessly into your existing email or site and can be customized to ask all sorts of Q’s.
Smash the button to get started with a demo!
Fired Up Ads 🔥
Demos don’t have to be painful…but this one is for our entertainment. MNTN is a performance TV platform that wanted to share how businesses can promote their products with their tools. So they had marketer (and sometimes actor) Ryan Reynolds and daredevil Steve-O give a demo.
Steve-O writhes in burning torture as he gives us a walk through of features and the MNTN dashboard. Ryan Reynolds looks on is delight. They’re a great combination and the ad teaches you a little about MNTN connected TV features.